This is the same exercise as a Bench Press but using the Smith Machine allows for greater control of the bar throughout the exercise.
- Place a flat bench in the middle of the Smith Machine, with the bar in line with the middle of your chest.
- Lying on the bench, grasp the bar at shoulder width apart.
- Unlatch the bar and slowly lower the bar to your chest.
- Extend your arms fully and raise the bar to the starting position.
- Keep your back flat on the bench throughout the exercises. The Smith Machine is a good tool for beginners to learn to use free weights safely.