This is an exercise to build the pectoral muscles of the chest. This is a good exercise for beginners as the Smith Machine allows for greater control of the weights.
- Place an incline bench at a 45 degree angle in the middle of the Smith Machine.
- Align the bench so the bar is across the upper portion of your chest
- Grasp the bar with a shoulder width grip
- Unlock the bar and slowly lower the weight to your chest, do not bounce the bar on your chest.
- With slow controlled movements, raise the bar back to the starting position.
- Keep your feet flat and your back against the bench throughout this exercise.