A great overall exercise for the lower body. There are many variations on the squat, this is the original version using a Smith Machine for better flow of movement.
- Set the height of the barbell to shoulder height.
- Place your feet slightly wider than shoulder width apart with your knees and toes pointed slightly outward.
- Drawing your abs in descend slowly by bending at the knees and hips as if you are sitting down (squatting).
- Lower yourself as far as you can control without letting your body shift towards your toes (this will cause you to loose balance).
- Pause in the downward position and slowly return upright to the starting position.
- A pad on the bar or towel on your shoulders can help improve your grip and the reduce the comfort of the bar against your back..
- Practice the squat without any weight to allow yourself to become comfortable with the movements.
Calves, Glutes, Hamstrings