The internal rotation exercise targets the small rotator cuff muscles of your shoulder.
- Sit with your legs flat on the floor next to a cable pulley machine. The handle of the cable should be in line with your waist and about an arm-length away. Grab the cable handle and pull it in towards your body and put your elbow by your side.
- Start with your arm out to your side then slowly rotate your shoulder to bring your forearm across your abs. Hold this for a second then return to the starting position.
- Finish a set of reps then switch arms.
- This exercise doesn't need to be heavy to be effective. In fact, going with a weight that's too heavy can force the larger mucles of your shoulders to take over from the rotator cuffs, making this exercise ineffective.
- Putting a rolled up towel under your armpit can make this exercise more comfortable and effective.